For the project, you will need two large pieces of construction paper. You will need a 12" x 12" piece of paper for the lid, and an 11.5" x 11.5" paper for the bottom.
Directions for Lid: (12”x 12”)
- Step 1: Draw a point in the center of the square paper.
- Step 2: Fold each corner to the point you drew in the middle. Make sure each fold is creased clearly.
- Step 3: After your folding, you will have four lines from your creases. Fold each corner to the opposite crease line.
- Step 4: Now your paper will have many creases. Fold each corner to the nearest crease. It will make a very small triangle in each corner.
- Step 5: Pick two opposite sides. On each side you will make two cuts. The cuts should be two of the creased sections long.
- Step 6: On the sides you did not cut, fold the two triangles in, and then fold over one more square section on each side.
- Step 7: Fold in the triangle tip of both of the other sides.
- Step 8: Once you have folded in the triangle tip, fold over the rectangle you just made all the way to the top of the lid. Do this for both sides.
- Step 9: Tuck the flaps of the other sides under the sides you just folded. This will make a box.
- Step 10: Press all of your creases firmly to hold the shape. This may take several firm presses.
Directions for Bottom: (11.5”x 11.5”)
- Step 1: Fold your construction paper into thirds. Open the paper up and fold the paper into thirds the other direction. Open the paper up.
- Step 2: Cut the pattern below into your construction paper.
- Step 3: Fold up the flaps to make the box.
- Step 4: Put the lid on to hold the box in place.
How to Fill Out the Bottom:
Once you have folded the entire box, the bottom will have nine individual boxes created by the fold lines. The students will fill out the nine boxes according to these guidelines: (or you can pick your own!)
- Box 1: Title and Author
- Box 2: At Least 3 Predictions
- Box 3: List of Main Characters
- Box 4: Setting
- Box 5: List of 8 Key Vocabulary Words Chosen from the Story with Definitions
- Box 6: 2 of Favorite Quotes from Story
- Box 7: Theme of Story
- Box 8: 3-5 Sentence Summary
- Box 9: Describe Your Favorite Part of the Book and Explain Why it is Your Favorite Part
*Complete boxes 1 and 2 before reading the book. Complete boxes 3-9 after reading the book.
If you would like printable directions for the box, click here! Do you have any fun book projects you do with your students?